Tuesday, 14 June 2016

E3's EA conference.

So as always, around this year I get a little crazy. As a UK gamer I find myself staying up late and reading everything I can about E3. I even try and watch the conferences from the major developers, even if I'm not a huge fan of them. So like every year on the lead up to E3 I stopped listening to podcasts about games, stopped buying my magazines and stopped going onto the blogs and sites dedicated to getting gamer news out there. I wanted to go in without knowing what I was getting into, to see the games for the first time.

So, the first conference I watched was EA. Let me tell you, there wasn't much point in staying up to watch it. I'm not a huge fan of sport games, I feel if you want to play sports go out there and do it. Star Wars completely passed me over, so listening to more games about this franchise also bores me. I was interested in Titanfall when it was first announced for XBOX One, but the length of the loading times on that console put me off, along with the multiplayer aspect. I prefer stories and being interactive with the game. So Titanfall 2 is right up my alley with its single-player option, and the fact it's coming to PS4 is an even bigger bonus. (I own both consoles but PlayStation wins hands down with me every time.) Mass Effect: Andromeda looks pretty cool too.

Fe, was interesting to say the least, I love the pretty graphics. It's very cute but there is hardly any further content out there for it. (At the time of writing this I've just breezed over my news sites and I can't find anything to do with this game.) What we were told is that it's part of a new series of games from EA Originals, which is basically an umbrella for their 'Indie' games. From what I can gather Fe, is much like unravel but it's more in touch with nature. There is no text or speech, and you play mainly as a young cub that wakes in a dark glade. Apparently there is no tutorial and its an exploration of sound and sight. There are also bad guys, The Silent Ones, that take away the sound of the game and you much sneak past them and stay out of their way. I have no idea if there is a boss battle in which you will finally defeat them and save the forest. Here is an article that explains way better than I can. But I will leave you with an image of The Silent Ones.

(See it's pretty!)

Now as someone who has played all of the previous Battlefield games, and enjoyed them even if  I did gripe and moan at my dad that it was a boys game, I do not find myself enjoying what I'm hearing about Battlefield 1. That's not to say I will not try it, I will, just not when it's at full price. The trailer does look really good though. But with the greatness of previous years and the plethora of games they normally show, and content I cannot help but feel immense disappointment. EA has not lived up to what I expect, and it saddens me. Maybe the others will wow me?

Shadow Spark out. 







No comments:

Post a Comment